[Python-ideas] stdlib upgrades

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jun 7 17:35:46 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:

>  On 06/01/2010 08:22 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>> I can only see two scenarios that might be considered acceptable to
>> address these issues.
>> One is that when new modules are accepted into the stdlib they are
>> flagged with a ExpermintalWarning so that people know that no
>> backwards-compatibility promises have been made yet. That gets the
>> module more exposure and gets python-dev real-world feedback to fix
>> issues before the module calcifies into a strong
>> backwards-compatibility. With that experience more proper decisions
>> can be made as to how to change things (e.g. the logging module's
>> default timestamp including microseconds which strptime cannot parse).
> Would it be possible to have a future_lib that gets enabled with something
> like...
>   from __future__ import future_lib
> These *new* library modules and packages won't be visible by default. Maybe
> they stay there until the next major version or possible some set period of
> time.

The only place where any of this seems even slightly useful would be a
library closely associated with Python itself, e.g., a new ast module or
something with imports.  Everything else should be developed as an external
installable library.  At least things that are importable (str.partition for
instance isn't something you import).

Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org