[Python-ideas] stdlib upgrades

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Mon Jun 7 17:35:46 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 1:33 AM, Ron Adam <rrr at ronadam.com> wrote:

>  On 06/01/2010 08:22 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
>> I can only see two scenarios that might be considered acceptable to
>> address these issues.
>>
>> One is that when new modules are accepted into the stdlib they are
>> flagged with a ExpermintalWarning so that people know that no
>> backwards-compatibility promises have been made yet. That gets the
>> module more exposure and gets python-dev real-world feedback to fix
>> issues before the module calcifies into a strong
>> backwards-compatibility. With that experience more proper decisions
>> can be made as to how to change things (e.g. the logging module's
>> default timestamp including microseconds which strptime cannot parse).
>>

> Would it be possible to have a future_lib that gets enabled with something
> like...
>
>   from __future__ import future_lib
>
> These *new* library modules and packages won't be visible by default. Maybe
> they stay there until the next major version or possible some set period of
> time.

The only place where any of this seems even slightly useful would be a
library closely associated with Python itself, e.g., a new ast module or
something with imports.  Everything else should be developed as an external
installable library.  At least things that are importable (str.partition for
instance isn't something you import).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org