[Python-ideas] Making Python more enterprise technology

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 02:28:35 CEST 2010

Jim Jewett <jimjjew... at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Not done in practice" isn't a sufficiently strong argument to get a
> new infrastructure technology past an architectural board.  (A single
> product which happens to use or embed python, yes.  Approval of python
> for developing new internal products, no.)

This is just nonsense. I've worked for enterprise orgs that use Python
to do exactly that. It's been a long term trend to move away from
discrete desktop apps and towards intranet-bound web apps instead.
Python is ideal for this use, and none of the security issues you're
citing apply.

> The real concern is that running code can, for example, change the
> value of sys.stdout, and other programs will see that newly modified
> value.

Pure, unmitigated FUD.