[Python-ideas] Making Python more enterprise technology

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Tue May 11 08:36:43 CEST 2010

alex23 writes:
 > Jim Jewett <jimjjew... at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > "Not done in practice" isn't a sufficiently strong argument to get a
 > > new infrastructure technology past an architectural board.  (A single
 > > product which happens to use or embed python, yes.  Approval of python
 > > for developing new internal products, no.)
 >
 > This is just nonsense. [...]
 >
 > > The real concern is that running code can, for example, change the
 > > value of sys.stdout, and other programs will see that newly modified
 > > value.
 >
 > Pure, unmitigated FUD.

Jim didn't say it was *his* concern, just that he has so far been at
best partially successful in convincing people that it's no more an
issue for Python than for incumbent platforms.  That's the reality you
see in many places, and I don't see how you can blame people who work
in that kind of environment for hoping for a Pythonic solution to it.
Heaven knows, the *people* who run things aren't going to change!

If it's not practical to change those parts of Python, OK, education
of the bosses is all that's left.