[Python-ideas] i18n and Python tracebacks

spir ☣ denis.spir at gmail.com
Sun May 16 17:37:48 CEST 2010

On Sat, 15 May 2010 17:04:29 +0200
Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2010 11:02:35 -0300
> Andre Roberge <andre.roberge at gmail.com>
> > Suivi d'erreur (appel le plus récent en dernier) :
> >   Fichier "<stdin>", à la ligne 1, dans <module>
> > ZeroDivisionError: division entière ou modulo par zéro
>
> I'm not sure it's a good idea. The fact that these messages are always
> in English makes it possible:
> - to share them with other developers in order to get help
> - to parse them in order to assert certain kind of errors
>
> These messages are primarily meant for developers, not users.
>
> (as a sidenote, I regularly get annoyed by gcc's "translated" error
> messages -- especially how crappy the French translation often is.
> It's always better to get a good English error message than a horrible
> French one)
>
> Antoine.

I share this point of view (while my mother tongue is french as well). Distinguish the language user (developper) from app end-user.
Now, at another level, it may also be considered that people are able to program using their own language; it's also fair and good from the pov of diversity. It may help spreading & developping "the art of programming" by removing an important entry barrier. But it's a very big effort and there should be a reference anyway (*).

Denis

(*) In "the best of all possible worlds", an IAL... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_auxiliary_language