[Python-ideas] New pattern-matching library (was: str.split with multiple individual split characters)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:20:32 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 10:47 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Okay, I get it now. I don't know how many core developers are actually
> following python-ideas. If you are serious about putting time into
> this yourself, maybe the best thing you could do would be to start a
> draft for such a document, put it in the Wiki (with some kind of
> "draft" or "tentative" disclaimer) and post it to python-dev (as well
> as here) to get the core devs' attention.

One specific idea I was considering along these lines when I get back
to my PEP 0 fiddling was to separate the big pile of
Deferred/Rejected/Withdrawn/Finished PEPs a bit more.

In particular, the Deferred PEPs are generally things where the idea
being proposed is seen as having some merit, but there are fundamental
issues with the proposal which prevent it from being accepted. We
could separate those out and expand them to cover "wish list" PEPs
which spec out something we would like to do, but don't really have
any idea as to how yet.

Cheers,
Nick.