[Python-ideas] Idea: Google Groups web interface for Ideas

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Jan 4 16:18:12 CET 2012

On Jan 04, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Barry Warsaw writes:
> > On Dec 28, 2011, at 02:11 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
> >
> > >Does Mailman support confirmation for messages with high SPAM ratio?
> >
> > Not out of the box, no.
>
>But it would be trivial to implement efficiently, I think, even in
>MM2, as long as there is a front-end (eg, spamassassin) that does the
>spam-checking efficiently.

Right.  If the front-end added some header containing a pattern that could be
parsed for spamminess, it would be nearly trivial to write a handler that
could make that determination and hold/discard/reject such a message.  Skip
(IIRC) and I once had a moderately-well working spambayes plugin for Mailman.

>I don't know if Python lists ever have that kind of problem, though.

I don't think we have much of a spam problem on the lists these days.  It used
to be python-list got most of its spam through the Usenet gateway.  Probably
in another year or so all of the terms "Usenet", "spam", and "email" will
produce a reaction in our young intarweb users much like the terms "vinyl
records" and "land-line" do today.  There's no problem that doesn't disappear
if you ignore it long enough <wink>.

> > There could be some integration points with Mailman here, but it's
> > not clear they are worth it,
>
>For mailman-developers, I think it's preferable to teach people to
>fish (here, write and install simple Handlers), and provide a contrib
>page on the wiki for posting them.

Like all open source, contributions are welcome. :)

-Barry