[Python-ideas] Posting style

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:53:05 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Oleg Broytman <phd at phdru.name> wrote:
> Hello!
>
>   I very much hope I do not embarrass the audience but people can we
> return back to email etiquette? Inline quoting instead of top-posting,
> proper trimming instead of overquoting, an empty line to separate quoted
> text from the reply.

Unfortunately, you're fighting against the default behaviour of many
current email clients. As far as I can tell, they're written on the
assumption of conversational email chains amongst small numbers of
people rather than potentially sprawling permanently archived mailing
list threads with multiple branches and a large number of
participants. Even the Gmail web client starts with the cursor above
the quoted text (although it places the signature block after it).

The big pain though is answering email on a (not-so-)smartphone - I
know the Android Gmail client places both cursor and signature above
the quoted message, and fixing the formatting is annoying enough that
the only two realistic choices are either top posting or not replying
at all (and I'll often choose to wait until I'm back at a machine with
a full keyboard for exactly that reason).

Cheers,
Nick.