[Python-ideas] An etherpad for every idea

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:30:21 CET 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:02 PM, Masklinn <masklinn at masklinn.net> wrote:

> On 2012-01-11, at 14:55 , anatoly techtonik wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 16:16:09 +0300
> >> anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com>

> >> current
> >>
> >> Are you willing to maintain it? Feel free to create and update etherpad
> >> summaries for a few of our current discussion threads, so that we see
> >> if that's useful.
> >>

> > The idea is about collaborative service, not a  "community job offer" for
> > single person, responsible to maintain and update summaries for email
> > threads on some wiki page.
>
> That does not preclude maintaining:

1. Somebody needs to handle the hardware and software stack, check that the
> load is acceptable, test software updates and deploy them, handle ACLs if
> any, …

Does that mean that the idea is good enough to start talking about problems
with infrastructure and maintenance? =)

> 2. Information is not going to self-organize over the whole platform,
> people will need to keep track of the various documents being created and
> provide an entry point for the service (linking to various sub-trees)

That's right. The idea is to provide an automatic service tied to each
email thread, meaning that email threads must be identified first. Then
- you're right - there must be a web interface of the entry point
that lists threads with pointers to the corresponding Etherpad page. This
can further list auxiliary flags, for example if thread was updated after
the last change in Etherpad. Etherpad interface then can be tweaked further
to implement "approval" system that let's every user place a "tick" next to
the reference to a message that the user believes is integrated into
summary correctly (or flag messages that are completely missing).

> 3. Open-edition systems (wikis, etherpad instances, …) are subject to
> vandalism, spam and edit wars, there needs to be people and tools able to
> manage both issues, cleanup the crap in the first two cases and potentially
> temporarily lock documents in the latter.

In this case it is possible to limit access to python.org accounts. Is it
possible? Is there a central login server for python.org?

> You're the one who brought it up and suggested it would be a valuable
> tool, the onus is on you to demonstrate it and it makes sense that you'd be
> the one maintaining it until then.

I only proposed the idea. If you think this tool won't be valuable then I
am open to discuss why. If it is only because I failed to make it a
valuable tool then I can make it even more obvious by saying - yes, I will
not be able to create a valuable tool out of it alone.
--
anatoly t.