[Python-ideas] My objections to implicit package directories

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 14 01:36:09 CET 2012

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:24 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > I hope I've added some indication that it's also harder to deal with
> > in version control systems.
>
> Yeah, given that part of my argument when I updated PEP 414 was "the
> lack of explicit unicode literals creates useless noise in version
> control diffs", I can hardly fault you for using a similar argument
> against changing package directory names!

Are you convinced by the argument that a directory representing a
package should be named exactly the same as the package? That's the most
convincing reason I can see (though many other reasons are strong too)
for not introducing special cases for the name of the package's
directory.

> Hopefully Eric can capture this clearly in the new PEP so future
> readers will have a clear understanding of the trade-offs involved.

Agreed. Thanks for encouraging discussion and recording it, Eric.

--
 \         “Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?” “I think so, |
  `\    Brain, but Zero Mostel times anything will still give you Zero |