[Python-ideas] Replacing shelve in the next 3.x release.

Jakob Bowyer jkbbwr at gmail.com
Mon May 7 20:43:17 CEST 2012

I suggest that we either replace the internals of shelve, or deprecate
it, or remove it in favour of other dbm's like
http://packages.python.org/sqlite3dbm/dbm.html. Many people feel that
shelve is a pointless module that should not be used because it relies
too much on pickle an insecure format, in my own searches Google
showed only 13 projects using shelve and Github showed only 3000 odd
snippets containing shelve.open so its time this module either died
quietly or got the internals replaced. For a major start shelve
doesn't support integer keys where as the suggestion put earlier
clearly does. I'm sure there is other stuff I'm missing which is why
I'm posting here first.