[Python-ideas] Replacing shelve in the next 3.x release.

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon May 7 20:50:11 CEST 2012

On Mon, 7 May 2012 19:43:17 +0100
Jakob Bowyer <jkbbwr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest that we either replace the internals of shelve, or deprecate
> it, or remove it in favour of other dbm's like
> http://packages.python.org/sqlite3dbm/dbm.html. Many people feel that
> shelve is a pointless module that should not be used because it relies
> too much on pickle an insecure format,

pickle is only insecure if you want to accept data from untrusted
sources. shelve would obviously be very bad for an exchange format, but
I don't think that's what it's used for.

Someone should post a proper comparison of shelve with its alternatives
(including functionality and performance) before a decision is made.

Regards

Antoine.