[Python-ideas] PEP for Python folder structure

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed May 30 11:19:07 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:45:31AM +0200, Armin Wieser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to write a PEP about folder structure in python projects.

Why?

PEP stands for Python Enhancement Proposal, and relate to suggested
changes to the Python language and standard library. Your blog post
about folder structure:

> [0] http://jcalderone.livejournal.com/39794.html

is interesting, but it has nothing to do with either Python the language
or the standard library, as far as I can tell. In fact, some of your
project suggestions go against best-practice, or at least common
practice:

"Don't put your source in a directory called src"

Really? I think you'll find many people disagree with that.

I think your blog post is a good blog post, and deserves to have people
read it and discuss it. With feedback from others, I think it might even
become a good How To layout projects. But I think it would be a poor
PEP.

Of course, you can write a post in the format of a PEP. Just don't call
it a PEP unless it is a proposal for an enhancement to Python, or at
least related to development of Python, e.g. PEP 8.

--
Steven