[Python-ideas] The async API of the future: Reactors

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Oct 15 18:17:55 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre at mecheye.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>> But you're still stuck with implementing the names that someone else
>> decided upon a decade ago... :-)
>
> And why is that a bad thing? I don't see the value in having something
> like: thing.set_data_received_callback(self.bake_some_eggs)

But I do, and you've pinpointed exactly my argument. My code is all
about baking an egg, and (from my POV) it's secondary that it's
invoked by the reactor when data is received.

> We're going to have to give *something* a name, eventually. Why not
> pick it at the most direct level?

Let the reactor pick *its* names (e.g. set_data_received_callback).
Then I can pick mine.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)