[Python-ideas] Official MySQL module

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Mar 8 09:06:40 CET 2013

On 08.03.2013 00:20, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
> The number one question to ask about candidates for standard library
> inclusion is "Does it make sense for this module to receive new
> features only once every 18-24 months, and only when you upgrade to a
> new version of Python?". Interfaces to specific external services
> (including databases) almost never pass that test.

Agreed.

The reason why we included sqlite support in the stdlib was
to have an easy to use and readily available Python DB-API 2.0
compatible database in Python, so that people can learn how
to use SQL databases, implement small projects with it and then
upgrade to one of the many client-server databases out there,
if they need to.

It serves that function well, esp. since most systems come
with SQLite pre-installed. On Windows, we even include SQLite
together with the Python installation.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 07 2013)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/