[Python-ideas] Official MySQL module

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Fri Mar 8 12:01:12 CET 2013

On 3/8/2013 3:06 AM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> On 08.03.2013 00:20, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>> The number one question to ask about candidates for standard library
>> inclusion is "Does it make sense for this module to receive new
>> features only once every 18-24 months, and only when you upgrade to a
>> new version of Python?". Interfaces to specific external services
>> (including databases) almost never pass that test.
>
> Agreed.

I agree with this, too. However, I think this is a transient situation,
not a permanent one. It's entirely possible that there exists, or will
exist, a MySQL binding that meets this criteria. I don't know. But it
shouldn't preclude us considering a binding that meets the criteria.

As to Greg's point about not including a database binding that requires
other software to run, I disagree. It's client/server: do we really need
to include the server in order to supply the client? We include nntplib,
with no server. We include webbrowser, but no web browser. imaplib, but
no imap server. Etc.

--
Eric.