[Python-ideas] Implicit string literal concatenation considered harmful?

Mark Janssen dreamingforward at gmail.com
Sat May 11 21:22:58 CEST 2013

>  > I think that is an awesome idea.
>
> Violates TOOWTDI.
>
>     >>> print("This is an" +          # traditional explicit operator
>     ...  " %s idea." % ("awesome" if False else "unimpressive"))
>     This is an unimpressive idea.
>     >>>

But you see you just helped me demonstrate my point:  the Python
interpreter *itself* uses ... as a line-continuation operater!

Also, it won't violate TOOWTDI if the "+" operator is deprecated for
strings.  Strings are different from numbers anyway, it's an old
habit/wart to use "+" for them.

*moving out of the way*  :))
--
MarkJ