[Python-ideas] Implicit string literal concatenation considered harmful?

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Sat May 11 21:27:51 CEST 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM, Mark Janssen <dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > I think that is an awesome idea.
>>
>> Violates TOOWTDI.
>>
>>     >>> print("This is an" +          # traditional explicit operator
>>     ...  " %s idea." % ("awesome" if False else "unimpressive"))
>>     This is an unimpressive idea.
>>     >>>

> But you see you just helped me demonstrate my point:  the Python
> interpreter *itself* uses ... as a line-continuation operater!

It also uses it when you define a class or function, should those
declarations use Ellipsis everywhere too? (For reference:

>>> class A:
...    def __init__(self, **kwargs):
...        for k, v in kwargs.items():
...               setattr(self, k, v)

But this is getting off-topic and the question is purely rhetorical.)

--
Ian