[Python-ideas] sqlite3

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu May 16 14:30:39 CEST 2013

On 16.05.2013 14:18, Henshaw, Andy wrote:
> From: Stephen J. Turnbull [mailto:stephen at xemacs.org]
>> Henshaw, Andy writes:
>
>>> Very minor nitpick, but can we deprecate the name "sqlite3" in  > favor of "sqlite"?
>
>> It's probably not a great idea.  Two of the OS distributions I have installed
>> (Debian and MacPorts) have both sqlite2 and sqlite3.
>> Another (Gentoo) doesn't provide sqlite2 at all AFAICS, but is inconsistent about naming:
>> some ebuild names (including the main library itself) call it "sqlite", but equally
>> many refer to "sqlite3".
>
>> sqlite3 may be improper, but it seems to be the unambiguous name.
>
> But, Python only ships one sqlite module.  If there were two versions of the module
> and the developer needed to choose, then it would make sense.  Why isn't
> there a tkinter8 to indicate with which version of tcl/tk the module is
> designed to operate?  It seems like we're just propagating an awkward, vestigial,
> implementation detail for no good reason.

sqlite3 requires version 3.x of sqlite. It is not compatible
with version 2.x of sqlite due to API changes in sqlite,
hence the version number in the name.

Here's the thread discussing the addition:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-March/062905.html

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 16 2013)
2013-05-07: Released mxODBC Zope DA 2.1.2 ...     http://egenix.com/go46
2013-05-06: Released mxODBC 3.2.3 ...             http://egenix.com/go45

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/