[Python-ideas] Iterative development

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 12:24:44 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:47 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> On 1/29/2014 2:44 AM, anatoly techtonik wrote:
>
>> The idea is to split development of Python into two weeks cycle. Every
>> two weeks is "iteration". Iteration consists of phases:
>>
>> 1. Planning (one, two days)
>> 2. Execution
>> 3. Testing
>> 4. Demo
>> 5. Retrospective
>

> This is more or less what we do now on an issue by issue basis. At a higher
> level, releases for the 'next' version already come out at 2 or 3 week
> intervals from a0 to final. At a higher level, we already have plans for 3.5
> that we will start on as soon as 3.4.0 is out or after PyCon.

It is quite obvious from outside that Python has some kind of process,
but it is quite hard to sync to it for people from outside, because it is not
open - is not completely clear how the planning is made, which tasks
are available for current sprint, what you can help with and how to track
the progress.