[Python-ideas] Adding iOS/Android support to Python

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 19:50:19 CET 2014

>  It probably would not be any use for the sort of calculator I am
thinking about.

* "Hacker's Keyboard, a 5-row keyboard using full PC key layout for Android
tablets or phones <https://code.google.com/p/hackerskeyboard/>"
https://code.google.com/p/hackerskeyboard/
* IPython Notebook requires pyzmq and libzmq:
http://zeromq.org/build:android
* IPython qtconsole requires Qt:
http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/android-support.html
* SPyder require PySide or PyQt: https://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/
* http://continuum.io/blog/raspberry (
http://repo.continuum.io/miniconda/Miniconda-3.5.5-Linux-armv6l.sh )

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 7:18 AM, Todd <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> like multiprocessing is arguable (and difficult to support on mobile). Even
> providing a Python executable/shell is arguable for these platforms.
> >>
> >> I would definitely be extremely interested in a python shell in
> android.  One thing I feel are lacking on android are good advanced
> mathematical tools and and python shell with appropriate libraries could
> make a very powerful open-source tool for that.  There have been some
> attempts at that already.
> >
> > Yes - and (to the best of my knowledge) none of them provide the default
> Python shell. They're custom user interfaces, using native system controls,
> that provide a shell-like UI. What I'm talking about here is the literal
> "python.exe" build target - the one that is an executable that starts and
> expects to attach to stdin/stdout. *That* executable isn't practical on
> Android *or* iOS, because neither platform has the concept of a "console"
> in the traditional Unix sense of the word.
>
> Perhaps no console by default, but it is possible to have a traditional
> console on android.  I have one and many ROMs install one by default.  So
> although it may not be part of the default configuration I think it would
> be good to support it for the people who do have a console.
>
> Further, with rooted users, python could be set up to be used with the
> built-in adb shell.
>
> It is unclear from the discussion where things ultimately came out on this
> issue. If there still a possibility it might removed, although I understand
> that consoles are not the primary use-case, I think is still a valid
> use-case that should supported.
>
> >> I would also differentiate android and iOs more.  Android seems to be
> betting on multi-core performance while iOs seems to be betting on
> single-chore performance. So while multiprocessing may not make much sense
> on iOs, I think it may be more sense on Android, especially if they move
> from 4 to 8 cores.
> >
> > Firstly - I don't know what gave you the impression Apple devices aren't
> multicore - every Apple processor since the A5 (introduced in the iPhone 4S
> and iPad 2) has been at least dual core, and the A8X in the newest iPads is
> triple core.
>
> I was referring to the benchmarks where corresponding iOs and android
> devices generally have better single and multi-core performance,
> respectively, but you right that isn't that important.
>
> > Secondly, if you're assuming "multicore" automatically means
> "mathematical powerhouse", you're mistaken. If you're planning on doing
> serious mathematical heavy lifting on a phone... well, you've already made
> your first mistake :-)
>
> No, on the contrary, I was thinking that on devices with limited
> performance, being able to divide components between processes, such as UI
> and logic, is all the more important.  It probably would not be any use for
> the sort of calculator I am thinking about.

Wes Turner
https://westurner.github.io/