[Python-ideas] The stdlib++ user experience (Was: Introduce `start=1` argument to `math.factorial`)

John Wong gokoproject at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 07:42:02 CEST 2014

On 09/18/2014 08:26 PM, Paul Moore wrote:

> From this example, I'd like to see the following improvements to the
process:
> 1. Somewhere I can go to find useful modules, that's better than Google.
> 2. Someone else choosing the "best option" - I don't want to evaluate

Well judgement is always required. As an example: search async version of
the famous
Requests library on PyPi doesn't give beginners any immediate obvious
choices.
https://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=search&term=async+requests&submit=search

If we based off just popularity count, we will mislead users. The
description ought to be
more descriptive, but how descriptive? Can author cover all the possible
keywords?

This is why, naturally, most people use a search engine and eventually end
up
either on stackoverflow or some blog post written by me \o/.

One idea, similar to npm or gem store is commentary. It can become spam so
how about,
we can enable tagging and suggestion? What if people can suggest their
workflow in a
more obvious way than a blog post?

If anyone have the time and interest, maybe scan each PyPI package and
analyze how a
package on PyPI is being used by other packages. We can even go as fa
as scanning public repositories should anyone feel the urge to do that,
privately.
That, however, is a M-B dollar industry, known as search.

Though like App Store, Play Store, gem store, whatever, the number of
useful comments
and the number of participants can vary. Thus, the improvement is may be
suboptimal.