[Python-ideas] More useful slices

Skip Montanaro skip.montanaro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 20:20:30 CET 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> As I indicated in an earlier response, there is some performance value
>> to replacing the range function call with this (or other) syntactic
>> sugar.
>

> It's my impression that adding stuff like this primarily for performance
> is nothing on the list ;-)

I wasn't arguing for its inclusion, just explaining that there is
potentially more than a few characters of typing to be saved. (Someone
asked if that was the only benefit of the proposal.)

FWIW, at least some compilers (Shed Skin, I believe, perhaps Cython and/or
Pyrex as well) already treat range() as a builtin constant.

Skip