[Python-ideas] Fwd: Re: PEP 485: A Function for testing approximate equality

Kyle Lahnakoski klahnakoski at mozilla.com
Tue Feb 17 14:21:25 CET 2015

Chris Barker,

If `isclose()` function is to be part of the standard library I would
ask that the `rel_tol` and `abs_tol` both accept -log10 scaled  values:

Instead of
>    isclose(a, b, rel_tol=1e-9, abs_tol=0.0)

we have
>    isclose(a, b, rel_tol=9, abs_tol=-INF)

`rel_tol` can be understood in terms of number of significant digits.
`abs_tol` is understood in terms of fixed decimal digits.

Thanks for noticing the ubiquitous need for such function.