[Python-ideas] Accessible tools

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 10:20:14 CET 2015

>From http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/accessible.html:

> [...] Semantic information about user interface elements, such as buttons
and scroll bars, is exposed to the assistive technologies. Qt supports
Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA) and IAccessible2 on Windows, OS X
Accessibility on OS X, and AT-SPI via DBus on Unix/X11. The platform
specific technologies are abstracted by Qt, so that applications do not
need any platform specific changes to work with the different native APIs.
Qt tries to make adding accessibility support to your application as easy
as possible, only a few changes from your side may be required to allow
even more users to enjoy it. [...]
On Feb 18, 2015 1:56 PM, "Wes Turner" <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

A few (possibly more aceessible) alternatives to IDLE:

* IPython in a terminal
* IPython qtconsole (Qt toolkit)
* IPython Notebook may / should have WAI ARIA role tags (which are really
easy to add to most templates)
* Spyder IDE (Qt toolkit) embeds an IPython console with a Run button and
lightweight code completion: https://code.google.com/p/spyderlib/
* I have no idea whether the python-mode Vim plugin is accessible:
https://github.com/klen/python-mode

* Here's my dot vim config: https://github.com/westurner/dotvim

It could be helpful to get a Wiki page together for accessibility: tools,
features, gaps, best practices, etc.