[Python-ideas] Encouraging more use of the Python wiki

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 17:23:06 CET 2015

On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 7:27 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm going to add one more bit here about wiki gardening.

In order to test parsing code in order to
produce Linked Data http://5stardata.info ,
it could be helpful to produce a periodic archive/dump
sort of like http://wiki.dbpedia.org/Datasets .

A github repository could be useful for hosting these types of releases.

python/wiki___ ?

> BITD, the main website had many pages which today would be called
> listicles. The problem was that those lists were dynamic. They weren't
> just the "top ten scientific Python modules of all time" or the "seven
> best packaging tools." They were whatever was at the front of the
> author's brain at some point in the past. Having these static pages
> given the imprimatur of the PSF when in fact none of the site
> maintainers were obviously responsible for (or interested in) keeping
> them up-to-date did a disservice to the community and to authors of
> other packages which weren't represented in those lists. In addition,
> there were more barriers to update than necessary (essentially, figure
> out how to report the problem, offer suggested fix(es), then have them
> swallowed up into the site update mechanism).

Are the links out of date, or the descriptions and exclusive clusters?

* http://schema.org/SoftwareApplication (RDFa in HTML5, Microdata)
* http://json-ld.org/
* URIs are tags

> One of the main uses envisioned for the wiki was as a place where
> these listicles could be maintained by the greater Python
> community. For some things, that's worked out pretty well. The most
> obvious thing that comes to mind is the PythonTraining page. That
> works because the people whose skills are represented on that page
> have a very good reason for keeping things up-to-date: it's free
> advertising for their businesses.
>
> Other listicle type pages haven't been keep as up-to-date.  For
> example, the PythonEditors page was last updated in Feb 2014, is huge
> (and might benefit from being split into multiple pages), and probably
> no longer accurately represents the available editors or IDEs which
> support Python.

> The takeaway in my mind is that we could probably use "gardeners" to
> take over active maintenance of these listicle pages. That, coupled
> with a couple "master gardeners" to develop some suitable structure,
> and some landscape crews to prune dead/outdated/no-longer-useful
> pages, would likely go a long way to improving the quality of the
> wiki.
>
> Skip

Are there tools for working with a regular editor (such as vim) and
MoinMoin pages?

With ReStructuredText, the Riv.vim syntax helpers are great for things like
tables; Voom is great for outlines (:Voom rest).