[Python-ideas] Syntax: 'return: ...' expressions

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 02:41:47 CET 2015

On 2015-01-07 20:12, Chris Angelico wrote:
> [...]
> If you're coming to python-ideas, you probably should have in your
> head that 'print' is a function and not a statement :)

Ah, I'll have to remember that from next time onwards to continue hiding
my shame: I'm still on 2.7.3.

> I'm really not seeing the advantage of this system; instead of
> expressing your code as a series of statements, you have to nest
> everything inside everything else, and the advantage is... the purity
> of having everything be an expression. Seems to me this has purpose in
> penetration testing (eg proving that you can get past someone else's
> sandboxing), but not practical programming.

Agreed, it doesn't look too great, but then again every idea starts out
with someone saying 'That's never going to have a practical
application', so I could take that as a good sign :-)

Regards,

Yawar