[Python-ideas] pep 397

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Jan 17 02:45:16 CET 2015

On 12/30/2014 3:31 PM, Liam Marsh wrote:

> /the pep 397 says that any python script is able to choose the language
> version which will run it, between all  the versions installed on the
> computer, using on windows a launcher in the "C:\windows" folder./
>
> can the idle version be chosen like this too, or can the idle "run"
> command do it?

Question about using python, including Idle, should be directed to
python-list. Quick answers to what seem to be separate questions.

1. At the command line, one select the version of a module to run by
selecting the version of python to run.  Idle is no different from any
other module intended to be directly run.  For me,

C:\Users\Terry>py -2 -m idlelib.idle  # starts Idle in 2.7.9

C:\Users\Terry>py -3 -m idlelib  # starts Idle in 3.4.2

On Windows, I pin the Start -> Pythonx.y -> Idle x.y icons to my task
bar so I can select either python + idle combination with a mouse click.

2. Selecting F5 or Run-module in an Idle editor runs the editor buffer
contents with the same version of python as is running Idle.  I have
considered adding 'Run with x.y' options according to what is installed,
but that is pie-in-the-sky at the moment.

--
Terry Jan Reedy