[Python-ideas] python on mobile

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 19:40:52 CET 2015

On 31 December 2014 at 13:42, Russell Keith-Magee <russell at keith-magee.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 11:16 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Fetchinson . writes:
>>
>>  > > I'm not sure exactly what would be discussed [on mobile-sig],
>>  > > especially in the short term when the big ticket item is getting
>>  > > the patches into the main Python tree.
>>
>> It probably matters more that there *is* substantive discussion than
>> *what* is discussed.  There are probably a lot of people who are far
>> more interested in "how to do 'it' *now*" than "get 'it' into the main
>> Python tree 'someday'", for example.
>>

> I'm not sure if a mailing list would help with this as much as a good,
> simple set of docs. It's not like there's unknown territory here; once
> you've got Python installed on a mobile device, the "how" is reasonably
> easy. The catch is that someone with Python experience won't necessarily
> have experience managing a cross-platform C/Automake build, which is what
> you need to get Python installed in the first place.

One of the benefits of a SIG over python-ideas is that their remit can be
broader than just CPython. distutils-sig is probably the most expansive on
that front, but

As far as setting one up goes, I believe the page at
https://www.python.org/community/sigs/guidelines/ is still accurate
(although the blurb isn't quite right when it comes to long lived topical
sigs like distutils-sig, or intermittently active sigs like import-sig)

Although it's a couple of months off, I would suggest a talk (if it's
>> still possible to schedule), a BOF, and a sprint at Pycon North
>> America in March.  That should get things moving, and several of the
>> "important" folks who have already expressed interest should be there,
>> too.
>>

> Unfortunately, due to the tyranny of distance (I'm based on the west coast
> of Australia), plus work commitments, it's unlikely that I'll be attending
> PyCon in Montreal.

Will you be at LCA this year? At the very least we can continue the various
discussions from PyCon AU :)

Cheers,
Nick.