[Python-ideas] Conventions for Python code documentation (was: PEP 484 (Type Hints) -- first draft round)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 20 05:42:46 CET 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Chris Barker - NOAA Federal <
chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> I always teach that the @ syntax is a decoration, not a decorator, whereas
> a decorator is a function that takes a function and returns another
> function ( usually a customized version of the passed in function). This
> distinction between decorators and decoration syntax keeps the door open to
> do just about anything with decorations, but am I the only one that thinks
> it's a bad idea to have it be for "any old thing we want to hang off a
> function"?

I think you're the only one who makes this distinction. In common use
"decorator" is used to describe both the syntax and the function invoked by
the syntax. "Decoration" is never (well, very rarely) used. And calling any
function that takes a function and returns one a decorator feels
overreaching -- I'd only call it a decorator if it is intended to use with
the decorator syntax.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)