[Python-ideas] Should iPython Notebook replace Idle

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 21:09:12 CEST 2015

* http://software-carpentry.org/blog/2012/03/the-ipython-notebook.html
*
http://software-carpentry.org/blog/2013/03/using-notebook-as-a-teaching-tool.html
* https://software-carpentry.org/v5/novice/python/06-cmdline.html (IPython)

> The needs for programming education are different, and the Raspberry
> Pi Foundation are starting looking at the available options in that
> space (including asking the question of whether or not there should be
> "Python for Education" edition that bundles additional third party
> libraries that don't make sense to include in the default
> installation.

I believe it's possible to run Docker and LXC on a Raspberry Pi (ARM arch).

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/wiki/Install:-Docker
* IPython, Scipy Stack (CPython, Anaconda conda packages, pip packages)

https://wrdrd.com/docs/consulting/education-technology#jupyter-and-learning

* There are extensions to include which packages/modules are/were
installed/necessary
  for a given notebook (watermark, version_information)
#jupyter-and-reproducibility

> There's certainly scope for improving IDLE itself (within the
> constraints of "no dependencies outside the standard library"), but
> part of that includes refactoring IDLE to make it easier to work on
> and test. idle-dev is the appropriate list to find out more about the
> options there.

Some of my first lines of Python were in IDLE (with diveintopython 2).