[Python-ideas] Briefer string format

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 04:53:28 CEST 2015

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:44 PM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 10:10 PM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> If text formatting is your bottleneck, congratulations on fixing your
>> network, disk, RAM and probably your users.
>

> Thank you, but one of my servers just spent 18 hours loading 10GB of XML
> data into a database.  Given that CPU was loaded 100% all this time, I
> suspect neither network nor disk and not even RAM was the bottleneck.  Since
> XML parsing was done by C code and only formatting of database INSERT
> instructions was done in Python, I strongly suspect string formatting had a
> sizable carbon footprint in this case.
>
> Not all string formatting is done for human consumption.

Well-known rule of optimization: Measure, don't assume. There could be
something completely different that's affecting your performance. I'd
be impressed and extremely surprised if the formatting of INSERT
queries took longer than the execution of those same queries, but even
if that is the case, it could be the XML parsing (just because it's in
C doesn't mean it's inherently faster than any Python code), or the
database itself, or suboptimal paging of virtual memory. Before
pointing fingers anywhere, measure. Measure. Measure!

ChrisA