[Python-ideas] Additional datetime-like module

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 06:48:37 CEST 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 6:42 AM, Matthias Bussonnier
<bussonniermatthias at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For whatever reason that make me strangely think of bytes vs unicode strings…
> Where you just s/simple case/str/s ; s/robust case/unicode/g and
> s/timezone/encoding/g
>
> Than being said, a new module might allow more flexibility in playing
> with the API, like in Delorean[1] for example.

Two datetime modules with different API is definitely not a good idea.
I do think a new module is necessary, but it should completely replace
not just datetime, but also time. Maybe even calendar. There is
overlap (and some cruft) between these modules, and it can be hard to
understand exactly what function to use when, etc.

//Lennart