[Python-ideas] Adding jsonschema to the standard library

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri May 22 00:37:37 CEST 2015

On 5/21/2015 5:10 PM, Julian Berman wrote:
> Hey, author here, thanks a lot Demian for even suggesting such a thing :).

Welcome to python-ideas.

> I'm really glad that people have found jsonschema useful.

as too specialized for the stdlib, even if extremely useful to people
within the specialty. The high pypi download rate could be interpreted
as meaning that the module does not need to be in the stdlib to be
discovered and used.

> I actually tend these days to think similarly to what Nick mentioned,
> that the standard library really has decreased in importance as pip has
> shaped up and now been bundled -- so overall my personal opinion is that
> I wouldn't personally be pushing to get jsonschema in -- but! If you
> felt strongly, just some brief answers -- I think jsonschema would be
> able to cope with more restricted release cycles.

As a core developer, I can see a downside for you, so I would advise you
to decline the invitation unless you see a stronger upside than is
immediately obvious.

--
Terry Jan Reedy