[Python-ideas] Add appdirs module to stdlib

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 09:52:06 CEST 2015

On 2 September 2015 at 05:31, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> The problem with Windows is that the standard is to put things in an
> invisible directory, which makes it difficult to tell people, especially
> non-experts, to edit a file in the directory.

As you say, that's an issue with Windows, not with the library (if
indeed it *is* an issue with Windows - the users I've dealt with don't
have huge problems with things in appdata, although they would usually
expect the program to offer a config dialog rather than making them
edit the file by hand - but that's off-topic for this thread).

> Games that expect people to edit .ini files put them in the game directory.

That's a common choice on Windows, certainly (relating to historical
issues where the official standards used to be a lot more
user-hostile). It may well-be that the appdirs module should offer an
"app-local" (or "portable", if you prefer) scheme in addition to the
default scheme.

Paul