[Python-ideas] Add appdirs module to stdlib

random832 at fastmail.us random832 at fastmail.us
Thu Sep 3 03:29:33 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 18:38, Terry Reedy wrote:
> What I remember from 26 years ago is 'ls -a'.  Still correct in a
> console?  (No idea how to do the same on GUIs.) This was part of any
> Unix intro as one was expected to edit the shell configs to one's taste.

What is and should be expected of a non-technical user on a modern
desktop Unix system is very different from what it was 26 years ago.
This is so obvious it should go without saying. And, anyway, Windows has
got dir /a too. People who learned DOS 26 years ago probably likewise
know it.

Anyway, in summary: you have to either use a special option (not *hard*
to discover, but not in your face either) to enable hidden files (ls -a,
if they use the terminal *at all*, or whatever checkbox performs the
same function in gnome/kde/xfce/whatever), or type the exact filename
knowing it exists. Neither is much of a burden, but neither is any
"better" than on Windows.