[Python-ideas] Add appdirs module to stdlib

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Sep 2 20:34:08 CEST 2015

On 9/2/2015 1:21 AM, random832 at fastmail.us
wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 00:31, Terry Reedy wrote:
>> The problem with Windows is that the standard is to put things in an
>> invisible directory, which makes it difficult to tell people, especially
>> non-experts, to edit a file in the directory.
>
> I'm not sure you _should_ be telling non-experts to find a file to edit.
> Why doesn't your app provide a UI for it,

I added one, mostly written by Tal Einat, a year ago, but older versions
of Idle have not disappeared (and the user config files are global to
all versions, for a particular user).  And there is not yet an installer
for 3rd party extensions.

> Plus, it's not really any harder to find than a "Hidden" directory
> beginning with a dot

Quit the contrary. Files beginning with a '.' are not hidden on Windows
Explorer (or Command Prompt dir, for that matter).  I do not know of any
way to enable showing hidden files with Explorer. (If you know of one,
tell me.) The secret to getting to one is to click the directory
sequence bar to the right of the last entry to get a directory path
string, click again to unselect it, then add the name.  In this
particular case, enter 'AppData/Roaming' or '%APPDATA%'.  It is
intentionally difficult for user to access these files.

--
Terry Jan Reedy