[Python-ideas] PEP 504: Using the system RNG by default

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Wed Sep 16 19:06:19 CEST 2015

On Sep 16, 2015 9:54 AM, "Brett Cannon" <brett at python.org> wrote:
> +1 on the overall idea, although I would rather the module be named
random.safe in the stdlib ("namespaces are one honking great idea" and it
helps keep the "safer" version of random near the "unsafe" version in the
module index which makes discovery easier). And as long as the version on
PyPI stays Python 2/3 compatible people can just rely on the saferandom
name until they drop Python 2 support and then just update their imports.

Without repeating my somewhat satirical long name, I think "safe" is a
terrible name because it makes a false promise.  However, the name
"secrets" is a great name.

I think a top-level module is better than "random.secrets" because not
everything related to secrets is related to randomness. But that detail is
minor. Letting the documentation of "secrets" discuss the current state of
cryptanalysis on the algorithms and protocols contained therein is the
right place for it. With prominent dates attached to those discussions.