[Python-ideas] Have REPL print less by default

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 04:09:25 EDT 2016

On 19 April 2016 at 05:52, Franklin? Lee <leewangzhong+python at gmail.com> wrote:
>> How about:  the default REPL is a basic tool, and the limitations of basic
>> tools are what drive folks to seek out advanced tools. ?
>
> The REPL is a basic tool for basic users, which is why it should "Do
> the right thing" for people who wouldn't know better. I'm asking
> whether this is the "right thing" for those basic users: Advanced
> users are the ones who can use more than basic info.

Basic users should probably be using a tool like IDLE, which has a bit
more support for beginners than the raw REPL. I view the REPL as more
important for intermediate or advanced users who want to quickly test
out an idea (at least, that's *my* usage of the REPL).

As I disagree with your statement "the REPL is a basic tool for basic
users" I don't find your conclusions compelling, sorry.

Paul