[Python-ideas] Have REPL print less by default

Koos Zevenhoven k7hoven at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 05:35:18 EDT 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:09 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19 April 2016 at 05:52, Franklin? Lee <leewangzhong+python at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> How about:  the default REPL is a basic tool, and the limitations of basic
>>> tools are what drive folks to seek out advanced tools. ?
>>
>> The REPL is a basic tool for basic users, which is why it should "Do
>> the right thing" for people who wouldn't know better. I'm asking
>> whether this is the "right thing" for those basic users: Advanced
>> users are the ones who can use more than basic info.
>>

> Basic users should probably be using a tool like IDLE, which has a bit
> more support for beginners than the raw REPL. I view the REPL as more
> important for intermediate or advanced users who want to quickly test
> out an idea (at least, that's *my* usage of the REPL).

I was once a basic user, but I still have no idea what "IDLE" is. Does
it come with python?

I have tried

$ idle
$ python -m idle
$ python -m IDLE
$ python --idle

To be honest, I do remember seeing a shortcut to IDLE in one of my
Windows python installations, and I've seen it come up in discussions.
However, it does not seem to me that IDLE is something that beginners
would know to turn to. I do use IPython. IPython is nice---too bad it
starts up slowly and is not recommended by default.

-- Koos