[Python-ideas] Cross link documentation translations

Julien Palard julien at palard.fr
Sun Jan 24 05:35:59 EST 2016

o/

While translating the Python Documentation in French [1][2], I
discovered that we're not the only country doing it, there is also Japan
[3][4], and Spain [5]. It's possible there's other but I didn't find
them (and it's the problem).

But there's only a few way for users to find the translations (hearing
about them, or explicitly searching for them on a search engine, which
they won't do, obviously expecting a link from the english version if
they exists).

So here is my idea: Why not linking translations from the main
documentation?

I know that's not directly supported by Sphinx doc [6], but separate
sphinx build, blindly (with hardcoded links) linking themselves, may
work (like readthedoc is probably doing). The downside of those links is
that we'll sometime link to untranslated parts, but those parts may be
marked as untranslated [7] to encourage new translators to help.

Thoughts?

[1] http://www.afpy.org/doc/python/3.5/
[2] https://github.com/afpy/python_doc_fr
[3] http://docs.python.jp/3/