[Python-ideas] Cross link documentation translations

Alexander Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Sun Jan 24 09:51:57 EST 2016

I am -1 for linking the official documentation to anything not on
docs.python.org (or to things like the source listings link on the
library docs, which is controlled by the same party as controls the
documentation).  It irks me every time I see a link to activestate
recipes in the official docs.  Activestate has already taken down
documentation they have previously hosted, and the recipes will only
exist as long as it is advantageous to them to continue hosting them*.
The same can be said of translation projects that don't exist as special
interest groups under the PSF.

But I do like the idea of linking to translations.  Would it not be a
better solution to try and unify the translation efforts into one system
as SIGs of the Doc-SIG?

Besides, linking only to documentation you generate (as hosting the docs
as a sig under the doc-sig would allow) would make the technical
implementation much easier.

Baring that, its a better-than-nothing idea.

* not to mention the questionable quality of the recipes.