[Python-ideas] allow `lambda' to be spelled λ

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 18:27:20 EDT 2016

On 14 July 2016 at 23:13, John Wong <gokoproject at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why should I write pi in two English characters instead of typing π? Python
> is so popular among the science community, so shouldn't we add that as well?
> Excerpt from the question on
> http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/16010/is-it-bad-to-use-unicode-characters-in-variable-names:
>
> t = (µw-µl)/c  # those are used in
> e = ε/c        # multiple places.
> σw_new = (σw**2 * (1 - (σw**2)/(c**2)*Wwin(t, e)) + γ**2)**.5

I'm not sure what you're saying here. You do realise that the above is
perfectly valid Python 3? The SO question you quote is referring to
the fact that identifiers are restricted to (Unicode) *letters* and
that symbol characters can't be used as variable names.

All of which is tangential to the question here which is about using
Unicode in a *keyword*.

Paul