[Python-ideas] keeping things civil (was: Re: PEP 484 evolution)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Sat Mar 19 22:35:24 EDT 2016

On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 at 17:57 Rick Johnson <rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Saturday, March 19, 2016 at 2:43:01 PM UTC-5, Brett Cannon wrote:
> > I think that's a bit dramatic. As others have pointed out,
> > this has already been discussed quite extensively and
> > decided upon. The community has not had enough time to
> > make an informed opinion on this topic to ask that it be
> > removed.
>
> Hi Brett,
>
> I'm wondering what your last sentence is implying. Could you
> elaborate please? Here are my two interpretations:
>
>   (1) The community is actively discussing the issues i have
>   raised in this thread, but will need more time to decide
>   if my fears are indeed valid...
>
> or
>
>   (2) The community is only testing type-hints in the wild,
>   and may decide, at a later date, to remove them if the roll
>   out does not go as expected...

The latter. Python 3.5.0 only came out this past September so it has not
even been a year yet. Plus things like this take multiple years to work
their way into people's development processes so any talk of removing
something that would break backwards-compatibility is very premature.

> > The offers seemed reasonable, so throwing them back in
> > their faces doesn't really seem to help anything.
>
> Yes, i will admit that the *offers* they provided where
> "reasonable". But i have dealt with Steven and Chris and
> Mark for many years, and i can tell you from experience,
> that once we move this discussion over to Python-list (which
> is unmoderated), the hospitality and decency will quickly
> evaporate into the ether.

That's fine, but I have dealt with them for years as well and find them
rather reasonable individuals.

> I prefer for this not to descend
> into a flame war, and would like to engage in a civil
> discourse. I have strong reservations against this "type-
> hints feature", at least in its current form, and i know i'm
> not the only person who does.

You're allowed to have reservations, but the point is the debate on type
hints in regards as to whether they should exist or not is over and done
with as the decision to have them has already been made as shown by them
existing in a release of Python. Drudging the topic up here serves no
purpose as they will not be removed and so debating it is just a waste of
time. It would be better to discuss how to improve them as Guido is doing
as that will be productive.