[Python-ideas] Support for OAuth2/OIDC in the standard distribution ?

Cory Benfield cory at lukasa.co.uk
Thu Nov 17 10:28:31 EST 2016

> On 17 Nov 2016, at 13:42, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 17 November 2016 at 12:27, Cory Benfield <cory at lukasa.co.uk> wrote:
>> This isn’t me disagreeing with you, just me pointing out that the fuzziness around this makes me nervous. It has been my experience that a large number of protocol implementations in the standard library are already struggling to meet their maintenance goals, and I’d be pretty reluctant about wanting to add to that burden.
>
> Regardless of how things go in the long term, I think it's good to
> keep the debates open in this area, and I appreciate your comments.
> I'll certainly be thinking about my personal answers to the questions
> you raised, and I expect I'll change at least some of my views as a
> result.

Agreed.

For what it’s worth, I’ll almost always find myself on the “let’s not add it to the stdlib” side of that argument, but I’m entirely willing to lose those arguments. I think we’re best served by having voices on both sides of the debate who believe themselves to be right in the *general* case but are willing to treat each case on the merits. There are certainly lots of requests for addition to the stdlib I have no objection to: for example, data structure and algorithm implementations in the standard library almost always seem like no-brainers to me.

So I agree, I’m going to keep an eye on this space as we move forward, and for my part I promise to treat each case on the merits, despite my general belief of “small is beautiful”.

Cory