[Python-ideas] Shuffled

Rob Cliffe rob.cliffe at btinternet.com
Wed Sep 7 19:14:33 EDT 2016

On 07/09/2016 23:41, Matt Gilson wrote:
> I lurk around here a lot more than I actually post
Very wise.  I am a tournament Bridge player, and one of the things I say
to my partners is:  "Bidding is very simple.  When you have something to
say, say it (unless it really seems too dangerous). When you have
nothing to say, Pass".
> -- But in this case I find myself weighing in firmly on the side of
> "please don't add this".  It'd just add noise in the documentation and
> __builtins__ namespace.  There are millions of useful functions that
> /could/ be added to the `list` object (or to the `__builtins__`
> namespace).  It's the job of the core dev team to decide which are the
> most useful for everybody and this is one where (in my opinion) the
> usefulness doesn't justify the additional clutter.
>
> It seems like the primary argument for this is that some users would
> like to have this functionality baked into an interactive session.  If
> that's the case, then I'd like to point out that if you find yourself
> wanting this in an interactive session frequently there is an
> interactive startup file
> <https://docs.python.org/3/tutorial/appendix.html#the-interactive-startup-file>
> that you can modify so that this function will always be available to
> /you/ whenever you start up an interactive session (and you can put
> whatever else in there that you like as well :-).
>
> I hope that helps.
+1
And incidentally, thank you for reminding me of this.  I do actually use
|PYTHONSTARTUP| (mostly to pre-import modules that I use frequently:
sys, time, datetime, os, etc. - YMMV).  But your reminder may well prod
me into finding new uses.
Rob Cliffe