[Python-ideas] Remote package/module imports through HTTP/S

John Torakis john.torakis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 12:55:00 EDT 2017

Hello all!

Today I opened an issue in bugs.python.org
(http://bugs.python.org/issue31264) proposing a module I created for
remote package/module imports through standard HTTP/S.

The concept is that, if a directory is served through HTTP/S (the way
SimpleHTTPServer module serves directories), a Finder/Loader object can
fetch Python files from that directory using HTTP requests, and finally
load them as modules (or packages) in the running namespace.

The repo containing a primitive (but working) version of the
Finder/Loader, also contains self explanatory examples (in the README.md):

https://github.com/operatorequals/httpimport

My proposal is that this module can become a core Python feature,
providing a way to load modules even from Github.com repositories,
without the need to "git clone - setup.py install" them.

Other languages, like golang, provide this functionality from their
early days (day one?). Python development can be greatly improved if a
"try before pip installing" mechanism gets in place, as it will add a
lot to the REPL nature of the testing/experimenting process.

Thank you for your time,

John Torakis, IT Security Researcher

P.S: It is my first time in this mailing list and generally Python
contribution. Please be tolerant!