[Python-ideas] OS related file operations (copy, move, delete, rename...) should be placed into one module

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Thu Jan 12 11:17:49 EST 2017

I agree that this has been a bit of a wart for a long time.

While the old “let’s treat strings as paths” modules are split up like you
said, pathlib can do what they do and more:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/pathlib.html

Exactly -- this is The Solution. It combines paths themselves with things
you are likely to do with paths.

It may well lack some nice features. If so, suggestions for that would be
the way to go.

The usefulness of pathlib has been hampered by the fact that path objects
couldn't be used in many stdlib functions. However, that has been remedied
in 3.6:

   - A new file system path protocol
   <https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.6.html#whatsnew36-pep519> has been
   implemented to support path-like objects
   <https://docs.python.org/3/glossary.html#term-path-like-object>. All
   standard library functions operating on paths have been updated to work
   with the new protocol.

So we have a nice way forward.

-CHB

It’s also prettier and easier to use, especially when using autocompletion
(just type “path.is<tab>” and see what you can test the path for)

Best, Philipp

George Fischhof <george at fischhof.hu> schrieb am Do., 12. Jan. 2017 um
10:06 Uhr: