[Python-ideas] Things that won't change (proposed PEP)

Mark E. Haase mehaase at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:55:41 EST 2017

I don't think an informational PEP would make threads like Python Review
shorter and/or more productive. The OP clearly didn't do much research, so
it seems unlikely he would read an informational PEP. Moreover, the
bikeshedding about what goes into this PEP will inevitably lead to a troll
who isn't satisfied with the explanation of a particular item, or notices
that a particular item isn't included in the PEP, and then we're right back
to the same problem: litigating Python complaints that have already been
discussed many times on this list.

We can't change everybody on the internet, but we might be able to change
our own behavior.
In that spirit, maybe we just need a canned reply that can be used when a
thread has indicators of low quality:

> Hi, this appears to be your first post to python-ideas. This purpose of
this list is to discuss speculative language ideas for Python. If an idea
gains traction, it can then be discussed and honed into a detailed
proposal. Your post does not fit with the purpose of the list, either
because it is too broad or because it doesn't contain enough technical
details about your proposal. You may wish to improve your proposal by
focusing on a single subject, researching historical conversations on that
subject, and adding more technical details. Alternatively, you may wish to
post on python-list[1] instead, which is a general purpose list that does
not have the same constraints as this list.

> As a reminder to other list users, please do not encourage low-quality
posts by engaging with them.

Stack Overflow does something similar, where they have canned responses to
low-quality questions. This makes it easy for the community to
self-moderate in a respectful manner.