[Python-ideas] Is it Python 3 yet?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 11:28:45 EST 2017

On 26 January 2017 at 17:11, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The download button of https://www.python.org/ currently gives the
> choice between Python 2.7 and 3.6. I read more and more articles
> saying that we reached a point where Python 3 became more popular than
> Python 2, Python 3 has now enough new features to convince developers,
> etc.
>
> Is it time to "hide" Python 2.7 from the default choice and only show
> Python 3.6 *by default*?
>
> For example, I expect a single big [DOWNLOAD] button which would start
> the download of Python 3.6 for my platform.

As a related point, there's an open docs issues worth mentioning:
http://bugs.python.org/issue26355

That RFE covers setting a "canonical" URL similar to what ReadTheDocs
supports: http://docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/canonical.html

Such a change would have two purposes:

- consolidating all the links for any given major version into the
latest docs for that version in search engines
- migrating the legacy deep links in search engine results to the
qualified Python 2 URLs

Georg has indicated he's fine with the change, so it's just a matter
of someone finding the time to poke at the docs build config and how
RTFD did it in order to see how to set that up, and then backporting
it to *all* the 3.x and 2.x branches that use Sphinx for their docs
(even the ones that are otherwise closed to updates).

Cheers,
Nick.