[Python-ideas] Is it Python 3 yet?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 11:38:07 EST 2017

On 26 January 2017 at 16:11, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it time to "hide" Python 2.7 from the default choice and only show
> Python 3.6 *by default*?

Actually, looking back at the "Download" dropdown for Windows, I see

Python 3.6.0    Python 2.7.13

That's not really that bad (I recalled it being worse) - Python 3 is
on the left, which I'd interpret as "first", but otherwise the choices
are pretty equal.

The problem is that because it's 32-bit, I never really look at these
options, I always go straight to "Other downloads", which is in a
*really* weird order - 3.5.3, then 3.5.3rc1, then 3.6.0, then 2.7.13,
... "Full list of downloads" isn't much better - 3.4.6, 3.5.3, 3.6.0,
2.7.13, 3.4.5, ...

+1 on tidying up, and consistently showing an order 3.6.0, 2.7.13,
"other older versions". No matter where people end up, they should
always see 3.6 as the first option, with 2.7 clearly available as "the
other one".

+0 on de-emphasising 2.7 still further. I'm in favour, and I think
that people who need 2.7 in practice probably need it for
compatibility with other parts of their system and so should likely be
getting it from their vendor/distro rather than python.org.

+1 on making the main download for Windows 64-bit.

Paul